Learn list of 20+ English Word Pairs that Confuse Absolutely Everyone. Commonly Confused Words in English.
1.TO vs. FOR
2. TOO vs. ENOUGH
3. GO vs. COME
4. HOW MUCH vs. HOW MANY
- MUCH is used with uncountable nouns (a large amount of something), such as tea, sugar, water, air, rice, knowledge, beauty, anger, fear, love, money, etc. When using much, the noun will always be singular; it cannot be plural.
- MANY is used with countable nouns(a large number of things) such as book, idea,dog,car,etc. When using many, the noun will always be plural.
5. BETWEEN vs. AMONG
6. HOUSE vs. HOME
- Neither can also be followed by (one) of + group of two: “Neither of them is ready”.
- Neither… nor is equivalent to not… either… or: “Neither John nor Sophia will be there”.
- Neither is used like not… either: “I don’t speak English. Neither do I – (informal): Me neither”.
- Either can also be followed by (one) of + group of two: “Either of us could do it”.
- Either… or is used to offer a choice between two possibilities: “Either John or Sophia will be there”.
- Not… either… or denies both possibilities: “I don’t think either John or Sophia will be there”.
- Not… either is used after a negative statement: “I don’t speak English. You don’t either”.
8. EVERY DAY vs. EVERYDAY
9. CAN vs. COULD
10. BEEN TO vs. GONE TO
11. DURING vs. WHILE
12. ON TIME vs. IN TIME
13. MISS vs. LOSE
14. BY vs. UNTIL
15. I WISH vs. IF ONLY
16. HAVE vs. HAVE GOT
17. RAISE vs. RISE
18. ONLY vs. JUST
19. HAVE vs. HAVE GOT
20. LIKE vs. AS
21. JOB vs. WORK