Food Adjectives! List of 20 words to describe food and taste of food with examples. Learning these adjectives to describe food help improve your vocabulary words in English.
List of Words to Describe Food
The list below shows different ways to describe food and taste of food in English.
Food Adjectives with Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Very sour
- For example: Some fruit juices are very acidic.
- Meaning: As astringent taste is one that is strong and bitter
- For example: I feel the astringent taste of lemon juice.
- Meaning: A strong sharp taste that is not sweet
- For example: Black coffee leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
- Meaning: Tasting bitter and sweet at the same time
- For example: I love bitter-sweet chocolate.
- Meaning: Not having a strong or interesting taste
- For example: Tofu by itself has a bland taste.
- Meaning: Contains a lot of spices that create a burning feeling in your mouth
- For example: You can make a curry hotter simply by adding chillies.
- Meaning: Has been left to develop a pleasant strong flavor
- For example: The cheese is smoked and then left to mature.
- Meaning: Does not have a strong taste
- For example: It had a very mild flavour.
- Meaning: Has a strong flavor
- For example: A green banana is not ripe enough to eat.
- Meaning: Tasting of salt or spices and not sweet
- For example: What’s in the pastry? Is it sweet or savoury?
- Meaning: Containing seasonings to improve flavor
- For example: The sausage was very highly seasoned.
- Meaning: Has a strong and bitter flavor
- For example: The cheese has a distinctively sharp taste.
- Meaning: With a taste like a lemon
- For example: The fruit was too sour to eat.
- Meaning: Has a strong hot flavor
- For example: Thai food is hot and spicy.
- Meaning: Contains both sweet and sour flavours
- For example: Why didn’t you make sweet-and-sour pork?
- Meaning: Having a strong flavour or smell as a result of being kept for some time before cooking
- For example: You can eat venison, but it has a gamey flavor.
- Meaning: A slightly sour taste
- For example: I don’t like a tart apple.
- Meaning: Not flavored with salt
- For example: Should I bake with salted or unsalted butter?
- Meaning: Pale, or not strong
- For example: The vegetables were watery and tasteless.
Words to Describe Food | Image
List of adjectives to describe food and taste in English – Food Adjectives Image 1
List of adjectives to describe food and taste in English – Food Adjectives Image 2