Informal contractions are short forms of other words that people use when speaking casually. They are not exactly slang, but they are a little like slang. For example, “gonna” is a short form of “going to“. If you say going to very fast, without carefully pronouncing each word, it can sound like gonna.
1. Ain’t = Am not/are not/is not
E.g. I ain’t sure.
2. Ain’t = Has not/have not
E.g. He ain’t finished yet.
3. Wanna = Want to
E.g. I wanna go home.
4. Wanna = Want a
E.g. I wanna coffee.
5. Whatcha = What have you
E.g. Whatcha got there?
6. Kinda = Kind of
E.g. She’s kinda cute.
7. Sorta = Sort of
E.g. I’m sorta tired
8. Outta = Out of
E.g. I’m outta money.
- Give me – gimme – Gimme five minutes.
- Let me – lemme – Lemme see it!
- Tell them – tellem – Tellem I’ll be there soon.
- Don’t know – dunno – I dunno what time it is.
- Got a – gotta – I gotta new job.
- Come on – c’mon – C’mon! We don’t want to be late!
- Some more – s’more – Can I have s’more water?
- Should have – shoulda – I shoulda called yesterday.
- Could have – coulda – She coulda been here by 1:00.
- Would have – woulda – He woulda arrived earlier, but the train was late.
- Might have – mighta – You mighta left the bag at the airport.
- Must have – musta – You musta been in a hurry.
- Couldn’t have – couldna -I couldna called because my phone was broken.
- Shouldn’t have – shouldna – She shouldna told you that.
- Wouldn’t have – wouldna – Nick wouldna known about the meeting.
- Don’t you – dontcha – Dontcha like the movie?
- Didn’t you – didntcha – Didntcha like the movie?
- Won’t you – wontcha – Wontcha drive the car?
- What are you – whatcha or watcha – Whatcha doing?
- Got you – gotcha – I gotcha!
- Bet you – betcha – Betcha can’t guess the answer!
- KInd of – kinda – I kinda like her.
- Out of – outta – The printer is outta paper.
- Cup of – cuppa – I need a cuppa coffee.
- Sort of – sorta – I sorta need that book.
- A lot of – a lotta – I have a lotta homework tonight.
- Got to – gotta – I gotta buy a new car.
- Going to – gonna – She is gonna be there today.
- Need to – needa – I needa go shopping soon.
- Want to – wanna – I wanna blue car.
- Have to – hafta – I hafta save some money.
- Has to – hasta – Tim hasta work today.
- Ought to – oughta – She oughta work two jobs.