Ocean Words! List of Useful Ocean Vocabulary Words with Examples and Pictures.
An ocean is a large area of water between continents. Oceans are very big and they join smaller seas together. There are five main oceans together. They are: Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, Arctic Ocean. The largest ocean is the Pacific Ocean. The smallest ocean is the Arctic Ocean. Many types of animals live in oceans, such as carp, crabs, starfish, sharks, and whales. In the lesson, we are going to learn about Ocean, Marine words.
List of Ocean and Marine words
Words That Start With A
- Abyssal plain
- Arctic ocean
Words That Start With B
- Barrier reef
- Body of water
- Brittle star
Words That Start With C
- Clown fish
- Continental crust
- Continental shelf
- Coral reef
Words That Start With D
- Dumping ground
Words That Start With E
- Ebb tide
- Elephant seal
- Euphotic zone
Words That Start With F
- Flying fish
- Food chain
- Fur seal
Words That Start With G
- Giant squid
- Global warming
- Gravitational pull
Words That Start With H
- Hammerhead shark
- Harbor seal
- Harp seal
- Hermit crab
- Horseshoe crab
- Humpback whale
Words That Start With I
- Intertidal zone
Words That Start With J
Words That Start With K
- Kelp forest
- Killer whale
Words That Start With L
- Littoral zone
- Loggerhead turtle
Words That Start With M
- Mako shark
- Manta ray
- Marine biology
- Marine life
- Megamouth shark
- Moray eel
Words That Start With N
- Neap tide
Words That Start With O
Words That Start With P
- Plate tectonics
Words That Start With Q
- Queen conch
Words That Start With R
- River rat
- Right whale
Words That Start With S
- Salt water
- Sand dollar
- Sea anemone
- Sea bass
- Sea cow
- Sea cucumber
- Sea star
- Sea turtle
- Sea urchin
- Sea worm
- Sunlit ocean zone
Words That Start With T
- Tide pool
- Tidal wave
- Tiger shark
Words That Start With U
Words That Start With W
- Whale shark
Words That Start With V
Words That Start With Y
Words That Start With Z
List of Words to Describe the Ocean
- Meaning: floating object in the sea to serve as a warning or guide
- Examples: A buoy marked the entrance to the anchorage.
- Meaning: salty water
- Examples: Please marinate the meat in the brine.
- Meaning: directed movement of sea water
- Examples: The swimmer was swept away by the current.
- Meaning: spots in the ocean with low oxygen and lack of sea life
- Examples: Welcome to the dead zone.
Deep blue sea
- Meaning: description of sea water
- Examples: I am cought between the devil and the deep blue sea.
- Meaning: water of great depth
- Examples: The Deepwater Horizon oil rig burns in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Meaning: spot where the river meets the sea
- Examples: We live near the Thames estuary.
- Meaning: tropical cyclone that forms over the Atlantic Ocean or the Caribbean
- Examples: The hurricane caused widespread devastation.
- Meaning: thin area of water coming from a larger body
- Examples: The valley sides steepened into a fjord-like inlet.
- Meaning: island
- Examples: He is from the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea.
- Meaning: arm of the sea
- Examples: They fished the loch for salmon.
- Meaning: relating to ships or the sea
- Examples: Nautical To leave, as a port or harbor; depart.
- Meaning: the bottom of the sea
- Examples: Ships towing huge magnets trolled the ocean floor.
- Meaning: water in the sea
- Examples: Nor is large-scale desalination of ocean water economical.
- Meaning: sea that is away from land
- Examples: The fishing boats headed for the open sea.
- Meaning: brackish water with high salt content
- Examples: The water in the ocean is all saltwater.
- Meaning: having high saline content
- Examples: They gave her salty water to make her vomit.
- Meaning: land that touches the sea
- Examples: The small country has no seacoast, but is locked in by other nations.
- Meaning: ocean travel route
- Examples: In 1959 the St Lawrence Seaway opened to shipping.
- Meaning: all the oceans of the world
- Examples: I travel the world & the seven seas.
- Meaning: top layer of the ocean
- Examples: Pollutants can acidify surface water.
- Meaning: pool revealed in rocks when the tide goes out
- Examples: Free tide pool tours are offered during the summer through Redwood National Park.
- Meaning: tidal wave
- Examples: In 1896, a tsunami on the Sanriku coast left 27, 122 dead.
List of Creatures of the Ocean and Sea with meaning and Pictures
Meaning: mollusk found in warm seas
- Barracuda – Meaning: predatory tropical saltwater fish
- Barnacle – Meaning: a crustacean that attaches to structures such as boat hulls, rocks, and docks
- Blowfish – Meaning: fish that can inflate its body
- Clownfish – Meaning: brightly colored, striped tropical fish
- Coral – Meaning: tiny marine animals with hard exoskeletons
- Coral reef – Meaning: a large grouping of coral, typically occurring in warmer seas and teeming with sea life
- Crab – Meaning: crustacean with five sets of legs that include one set of pincers
- Dolphin – Meaning: sociable sea mammal that is a small whale
- Elephant seal – Meaning: large breed of marine mammal
- Flying fish – Meaning: tropical fish with large, winglike fins that appears to fly over the top of the water when it jumps out
- Giant squid – Meaning: deepwater fish that can grow to an extremely large size
- Jellyfish – Meaning: a gelatinous clear-colored aquatic invertebrate with stinging tentacles
- Lobster – Meaning: large, cylinder-shaped marine crustacean with five sets of legs including one set of pincers
- Manatee – Meaning: large, plant-eating, aquatic mammal
- Mollusk – Meaning: invertebrate, often with a shell
- Octopus – Meaning: cephalopod mollusk with eight legs
- Otter – Meaning: semi-aquatic mammal related to the weasel
- Oyster – Meaning: shelled bivalve mollusk with a rough shell
- Sea turtle – Meaning: ocean reptile with a leathery shell
- Sea anemone – Meaning: aquatic invertebrate with a column shaped body and tentacles
- Sea urchin – Meaning: spiny sea creatures
- Seagull – Meaning: commonly used name for gulls
- Seahorse – Meaning: marine fish that swims upright
- Shark – Meaning: predatory saltwater fish
- Shrimp – Meaning: small marine crustacean
- Sponge – Meaning: marine cellular organisms with porous bodies
- Stingray – Meaning: flat cartilaginous fish
- Walrus – Meaning: large sea mammal with tusks
- Whale – Meaning: large marine mammal
Ocean Words | Images
Nice and very helpful
thanks for your comment!
I want to know the nature of the ocean
You could include Kraken