If you are not familiar with the world of anime, then you are most likely not familiar with the slang term “tsundere.” Odds are you heard this term mentioned somewhere and it led you here in an effort to educate yourself about its meaning. If that is the case, then your curiosity has led you to just the right page.
Here you will not only discover the meaning of this term, but you will also find information about its origin and see some optional meanings if there are any to be had. Additionally, you will also see the term used in some example conversations in hopes that seeing it used in context will help you to better understand the word. Finally, you will discover some synonyms related to the word and that you can use interchangeably in a conversation to replace the term.
What Does Tsundere Mean?
This term is used to describe a character in anime who often appears cold and heartless, but then gradually shows a warmer, gentler side of themselves over time.
Origin of Tsundere
The term got its meaning from two separate Japanese words and their meanings combined. The first word is “tsun” meaning “to turn away in disgust” and “dere” which means “to become lovey-dovey.”
There are no other meanings currently known for this slang term.
A text conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: I used to not like Sandra.
- Friend 2: Why not?
- Friend 1: When she first started here she seemed cold and, quite frankly, bitchy.
- Friend 2: That’s surprising considering how she acts now.
- Friend 1: Yeah, she is a true tsundere.
An online conversation between forum users.
- User 1: Question time! Who is everyone’s favorite tsundere?
- User 2: My favorite is Kaname Chidori from the show Full Metal Panic.
- User 3: Mine is from Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. It is Rin Tohsaka.
- User 1: All awesome choices! Mine would have to be Maki Nishikino from Love Live!
Synonyms for Tsundere
There are several American phrases that you could use to substitute for this Japanese term that means the same thing. Some of the alternative phrases you could use include:
- warm-up to somebody
- grow on someone
- well disguised heart of gold